Tuesday, March 27, 2007

How to Save a Life

karenThis past February I had the privilege to attend the CCO’s annual student conference, Jubilee, with some of my students from Wheeling Jesuit University . I attended this conference all through college and it was a turning point in my spiritual development.

One of the conference's highlights this year was hearing Isaac Slade the lead singer of The Fray, a rising popular band in America , talk about his faith. One of the main speakers at Jubilee and former CCO staffer, Steve Garber, works daily with many influential Christians in the Entertainment Industry and was able to get Isaac to speak to the over 2000 students.

Steve Garber: Friend of "The Frey"

Isaac Slade spoke on their recent Grammy nomination, the misconception of fame and the reason he chose not to work in the Christian music scene. Overall, his message allowed students to see how their faith matters in all areas of life. He inspired everyone to see that no matter if you are working in Hollywood , Washington D.C or your local coffee shop, Christ can use you to redeem our Earth as God's Kingdom see fits.

No comments:

Student Interview

Christopher McPherson

muff

What is one big change you have seen in your life since you started college?
Um… that I have found the activities that I really enjoy such as theater, service activities... that’s probably the biggest change. And that I like to do things like singing-I joined the choir since I got here. Mostly I’d say the activities that I enjoy that I did not do in high school.

What has been the best experience for you in college?
Best experience? Wow. The service trip. Service trips in general, but I’d say the most rewarding experience was the trips I made to Mississippi and New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina relief.

What would you say is the biggest struggle facing college students today?
Biggest struggle would be the pressures to fit in to the college stereotype of drinking, staying up all hours of the night, and just making unhealthy decisions.

What is one way in which your faith has grown since you started college?
I have become more active in prayer-my own prayer. I'm taking time whenever I’m able to and just sitting down and meditating and praying. And doing a lot of self awareness activities to see wehre I am in my faith life and where I can go.

How do you plan on working your faith into your career when you leave WJU?
Well. Seeing as I don’t know exactly what uh career path I’m going to go on, I’m not sure I can specifically work an answer in. But generally I’ll try to be a model for the people I work with who maybe are struggling with their own faith life and maybe help to point them in a direction where they can be more knowledgeable and grow in their faith.

How would you sum up the ministry of the CCO?
What’s your tagline? Transforming college students to transform the world? Pretty much sums it up right there. What are you writing? I didn’t say anything!